ACCIDENT ANALYSIS - BREAKAWAY AND NONBREAKAWAY POLES INCLUDING SIGN AND LIGHT STANDARDS ALONG HIGHWAYS. VOLUME II: TECHNICAL REPORT
The objectives of this study are to: (1) Identify the extent of the pole accident problem; (2) Determine accident and injury severity rates associated with pole accidents; (3) Assess vehicle crashworthiness and highway design and operational characteristics for pole accidents; and (4) Evaluate performance, cost-effectiveness, and injury severity reduction of breakaway versus nonbreakaway poles. Data categories were analyzed to address the study objectives. The results of the study include descriptive statistics on the extent of the pole accident problem; analysis of the characteristics of pole accident sites, vehicle damage, and occupant injuries; assessment on the performance of various pole types; and a cost-effectiveness evaluation of the breakaway modification as a safety countermeasure.
- Prepared in cooperation with University of Kentucky Research Foundation, Dynamic Science, Inc., Traffic Safety Research Corporation and Wayne T. VanWagoner and Associates. Volume 1 Summary Report is HS-805 605 and Volume 3 is HS-805 606.
Southwest Research Institute6220 Culebra Road, P.O. Drawer 28510
San Antonio, TX United States 78228-0510
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mak, K K
- Mason, R L
- Publication Date: 1980-8
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 217 p.
- TRT Terms: Breakaway supports; Cost effectiveness; Crash investigation; Crash rates; Crash severity; Evaluation; Highway design; Highway safety; Highway transportation; Injuries; Performance; Poles (Supports); Roadside; Safety; Statistical analysis; Statistics; Street lighting; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00328253
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SWRI-11-4313 Vol-2 Final Rpt., HS-805 605
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-5-01266
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 12 1982 12:00AM