RAIL TRANSIT WINTERIZATION TECHNOLOGY AND SYSTEMS OPERATIONS STUDY
The severe winters of 1977-1978 and 1978-1979 caused all snowbelt transit systems to experience a variety of problems which resulted in impaired service ranging from systems delays to complete system shutdowns. The scope of this report includes a summary of rail transit equipment problems encountered by transit authorities due to severe winter weather; hardware measures that have been implemented to combat the effects of severe winter weather; summaries of both technological and operational measures in current use by various transit systems, as well as information on their effectiveness; and an update of the 1978 Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) study. Three background events preceded this study: (1) the 1978 study of rail transit's severe winter weather problems and some of the solutions undertaken by Alexander Kusko, Inc. (AKI) for the MBTA; (2) the severe winter experience suffered by the Chicago Transit Authority in 1978-1979; and (3) the formation of a special task force on rail transit snow and ice emergencies by the American Public Transit Authority. The conclusions are concerned with the measures and basic problems faced by transit authorities during severe winter weather. Recommendations are then provided on measures which UMTA and/or the transit authorities can support to minimize winter's impact on transit operations.
Kusko (Alexander) Incorporated161 Highland Avenue
Needham Heights, MA USA 02194
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- LaMarca, J L
- King, C M
- Publication Date: 1980-9
- Pagination: 165 p.
- TRT Terms: Cold weather; Deicing; Equipment; Ice; Maintenance; Maintenance equipment; Operations; Problem solving; Public transit; Railroad tracks; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Rapid transit; Snow; Snow removal; Urban transportation; Weather; Winter maintenance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Winterization
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00328235
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-80-34 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1773
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 12 1981 12:00AM