NOISE IMPACT INVENTORY OF ELEVATED STRUCTURES IN U.S. URBAN RAIL RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEMS
This report presents the results of the third task of a five-task program dealing with the reduction of noise from elevated structures in use in U.S. rail rapid transit systems. This report is an inventory and impact assessment of the noise radiated by trains passing on these structures, insofar as this noise is experienced by nearby community residents. An overview is provided of the noise contributions from the various types of structures in nine existing or planned U.S. transit systems operating on 253 km (157 miles). These systems are: Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA); Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART); Chicago Transit Authority (CTA); Metropolitan Dade County (Metrorail - under construction); Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA); New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA); Port Authority Transit Corporation of Pennsylvania and New Jersey (PATCO); Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA); and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). These structures are classified into 17 different categories, and noise emission characteristics are determined for each type, based on field measurements and/or published data. Day-night average sound levels are estimated for wayside locations near the elevated structures, and population data are used to evaluate noise impact in terms of the Sound Level Weighted Population (LWP).
Bolt, Beranek and Newman, Incorporated50 Moulton Street
Cambridge, MA United States 02138
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1980-9
- Pagination: 199 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Noise; Noise control; Noise sources; Railroad bridges; Railroad tracks; Rapid transit; Sound level
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Noise emissions; Noise sound; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Environment; Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00328229
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-80-29 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1531
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 12 1981 12:00AM