RESULTS FROM FULL-SCALE MEASUREMENTS OF MIDSHIP BENDING STRESSES ON TWO C4-S-B5 DRYCARGO SHIPS OPERATING IN NORTH ATLANTIC SERVICE
Records of wave-induced midship bending stresses were obtained on magnetic tape during the past three years using an unmanned instrumentation system. The reduced data cover thirty-four round trip voyages of two instrumented C4-S-B5 (machinery aft) dry-cargo vessels on the North Atlantic trade route. The data represent about 12,000 hours at sea out of five ship-years of operation. Each data point is based on a one-half hour record representing four hours of ship operation. An automatic Probability Analyzer is used in the reduction of data. All available data are presented as plots of rms stress variation and maximum peak-to-peak stress variation vs. sea state (Beaufort Wind Scale). The data were shown to be representative of a class of ships exposed to sea states corresponding to Beaufort Numbers 3-7. (Author)
- Rept. on Ship Response Statistics.
Lessells and Associates, IncorporatedBoston, MA USA
- Fritch, D J
- Bailey, F C
- Wise, N S
- Publication Date: 1964-9
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Bending; Bending stress; Cargo ships; Data processing; Flexural strength; Hulls; Instrumentation; Measurement; Records management; Ships; Stresses; Water waves; Waves
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data; Records
- Geographic Terms: Atlantic Ocean
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull bending; Hull instrumentation; Hull stress; Instrumentation (Hull); Wave induced stresses
- Subject Areas: Finance; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00327721
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-164 Prog Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NObs88349
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM