THE EFFECTS OF WIDTH AND THICKNESS ON STRENGTH, ENERGY ABSORPTION AND TRANSITION TEMPERATURE FOR INTERNALLY NOTCHED FLAT STEEL PLATES
This report contains the results of tensile tests made on geometrically similar steel specimens. Tests were made in a systematic manner with Aspect Ratios (width divided by thickness) varying from 4 to 20. Each specimen was internally notched with a central transverse notch having a length equal to 1/4 of the width of the speciment. The ends of the notches terminated with a drilled hole. The diameter of the drilled holes was made proportional to plate thickness. Steel plates ranging in 'as rolled thickness', from 1/2 inch to 11/2 inch were investigated from two heats of steel. The results of the tests are classified on the basis of strength, energy absorption, and transition temperature. It was found from this investigation that dimensional similarity of specimens does not assure geometrical similarity of plastic strain patterns. Therefore, the geometrical and metallurgical effects of thickness on transition temperature could not be segregated on the basis of geometrically similar specimens in this investigation. (Author)
- See also PB-99 867.
Swarthmore College500 College Avenue
Swarthmore, PA United States 19081
- Carpenter, S T
- Roop, W P
- ZELL, A
- Kasten, E
- Publication Date: 1951-11-15
- Pagination: 90 p.
- TRT Terms: Ductility; Energy absorption; Fracture mechanics; Hulls; Loads; Plate bearing test; Plates (Engineering); Steel; Steel plates; Stresses; Tension tests; Thickness; Transition point
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental data; Ship hulls
- Old TRIS Terms: Loading mechanics; Metal plates; Plate thickness; Ship plates; Tensile test
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00327699
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC- 44 Prog Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NOBS-45521, NOBS-50148
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM