A GUIDE FOR THE NONDESTRUCTIVE TESTING OF NON-BUTT WELDS IN COMMERCIAL SHIPS. PART 1
Procedures are presented for performing visual inspection, magnetic particle testing, radiography, ultrasonics, and penetrant testing on steel welds in the thickness range of 1/2 inches to 2 1/2 inches. The basic weld joints considered are the corner joint, the Tee, 'X', and the lap joint. A discussion is presented for each of the inspection methods whereby weld quality may be controlled in a meaningful way when there is a need to do so.
- See also Part 2, AD-A014 548.
Naval Ordnance LaboratoryIndian Head, MD USA 20640
- Youshaw, R A
- Criscuolo, E L
- Publication Date: 1974-12-31
- Pagination: 62 p.
- TRT Terms: Dyes; Inspection; Joints (Engineering); Magnetic detectors; Merchant vessels; Nondestructive tests; Particles; Pendulum tests; Radiography; Ship structural components; Test procedures; Thickness; Ultrasonic tests; Vision; Walls; Weld tests; Welds
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Welded joints
- Old TRIS Terms: Magnetic detection; Thick walls; Weld inspection
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00327672
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-253 Final Rpt., NOLTR-74-138-Pt-1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM