ENVIRONMENTAL FATE OF ORGANOTIN ANTIFOULANTS: CHEMICAL SPECIATION OF TOXICANTS IN AQUEOUS SOLUTIONS
Organotin compounds of the type (n-C(4)H(9)(3)SnY are presently used as toxicants in marine antifouling coatings and the analogous triphenyltin compounds are known to be effective antifoulants. Although the coating matrix is thought to control the release of toxicant from the coating to the seawater environment, little definitive information is available on the chemical degradation of the toxicants in aqueous solution. To investigate these reactions, a variety of triphenyltin and tributyltin compounds were suspended in distilled water and artificial seawater, and the dissolved components were recovered by extraction with chloroform. Residues recovered from the chloroform extracts were examined using thin layer chromatography and infrared spectroscopy. (n-C(4)H(9))(3)Sn- was the only organotin structural unit found in the chloroform extracts of tributyltin suspensions, but several different units were found in the residues of the extracts of triphenyltin suspensions. Structures such as R(3)SnOH and R(3)SnOSnR(3) can be eliminated as possible soluble species since O-H and Sn-O-Sn stretching vibrations were absent in the infrared spectra of the residues of the chloroform extracts. (Author)
- Prepared in cooperation with New Orleans Univ., LA., Dept. of Chemistry.
Louisiana State University, Baton RougeDivision of Engineering Research
Baton Rouge, LA United States 70803
- Monaghan, C P
- Kulkarni, V I
- Ozcan, M
- Good, M L
- Publication Date: 1980-7-22
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Antifouling coatings; Aquatic life; Chemical reactions; Chromatography; Hulls; Infrared spectroscopy; Laboratory tests; Leaching; Marine biology; Oceans; Organic coatings; Organometallic compounds; Poisons; Protective coatings; Seawater; Tin; Toxic coatings; Water pollution
- Uncontrolled Terms: Degradation; Ship hulls; Thin layers
- Old TRIS Terms: Chloroform; Distilled water; Fouling protection; Ocean environments; Tin compounds; Water soluble materials
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00327586
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TR-2 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-79-C-0487
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM