PORTLAND STUDY ELEMENT II. I/M EFFECTIVENESS STUDY
An exhaust emissions test program was conducted in Portland, Oregon on a sample of privately-owned 1972-77 model year automobiles. The objective of the study was to collect data on the effectiveness of a mandatory vehicle exhaust inspection/maintenance (I/M) program. Cars were recruited from Portland, where they are subject to the Oregon vehicle inspection program, and from Eugene, where they are not. The Eugene cars thus served as the experimental control. The Portland and Eugene fleets were identical in make, model, and model year mix, both representative of the Oregon automobile population of the model years tested. The Portland fleet consisted of equal numbers of cars passing and failing the state inspection when initially recruited. Each car was tested in as-received condition, initially and at 3-month intervals for a year. Portland fail cars were also tested after maintenance. The test sequence included the state idle test, two Federal short tests, the 75 FTP, and the Highway Fuel Economy Test. Complete engine diagnostic checks and owner interviews regarding maintenance were also conducted at each sequence. Emissions and fuel economy data are presented for all tests on every car in the program.
Hamilton Test Systems, Incorporated2303 East Thomas Road
Phoenix, AZ United States 85016
Environmental Protection AgencyMotor Vehicle Emissions Laboratory, 2565 Plymouth Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48105
- SMITH, D A
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 233 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Air quality management; Automobiles; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Inspection; Maintenance; Measures of effectiveness; Motor vehicles; Performance tests; Tables (Data); Vehicle maintenance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Geographic Terms: Oregon
- Old TRIS Terms: Exhaust emission control
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00327518
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA-460/3-79-003 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-03-2513
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM