APPLICATION OF CONTRAROTATING PROPULSION SYSTEM TO A U.S. FLAG MERCHANT VESSEL. PHASE I, MODEL TESTING AND PRELIMINARY INSTALLATION DESIGN
The report describes the scale model test results for a contrarotating propulsion system applied to an existing high-speed trailership. The testing program included evaluation of two alternate propeller designs, each developed independently. The preliminary design of a contrarotating shafting system including an analysis of alignment conditions, principal vibration frequencies, and shaft stress levels is presented. A preliminary selection of contrarotating bearings and seals is offered, contingent on future full-scale tests. An economic evaluation is made of contrarotating propulsion for new construction, and for retrofit installations, based on the performance results of the model tests and preliminary estimates of construction costs. The study includes a sensitivity analysis of the effects of fuel price, discount, first cost, and price escalation on the net present value of a contrarotating installation. The report also outlines a program of future work based on the favorable results of the Phase I study.
Sun Ship, IncorporatedFoot of Morton Avenue
Chester, PA USA 19013
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Forrest, A W
- Swensson, G C
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Pagination: 261 p.
- TRT Terms: Alignment; Construction; Contrarotating propellers; Costs; Couplers; Economic analysis; Merchant vessels; Performance; Propeller shafts; Propellers; Propulsion; Shafts (Machinery); Ships; Stresses; Structural design; Structural models; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs; Couplings; Merchant ships; Model tests; Ship models
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Propulsion systems); Marine propellers; Model testing; Propeller design; Propeller performance; Propeller shaft alignment; Propeller shaft stresses
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Economics; Finance; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00327120
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-920-80072 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MA-7-38068
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM