SUMMARY AND ANALYSIS OF COMMENTS RECEIVED IN RESPONSE TO DRAFT EPA PROCEDURES FOR THE MEASUREMENT OF TIRE ROLLING RESISTANCE AND SUBSEQUENT GRADING AND LABELING OF TIRES
As the initial step in developing a standardized acceptable test procedure for measuring tire rolling resistance EPA prepared a technical report, Determination of Tire Energy Dissipation-Analysis and Recommended Practices, in April 1978. This report and its draft recommended practice for determining tire energy dissipation was circulated to the automotive and tire industries with a request for comments. The comments received were compiled and analyzed in a subsequent EPA technical report, Summary and Analysis of Comments Received in Response to the EPA Report, Determination of Tire Energy Dissipation, Analysis and Recommended Practices, which was released in January 1979. As a result of this first analysis of comments the proposed recommended practice for determination of tire energy dissipation was substantially revised. This revised draft test procedure, together with a draft proposal for guarding and labeling of tires for rolling resistance was again distributed with a request for comments to the automobile and tire industries in April 1980. This report presents, summarizes and analyzes the comments received in response to the April 1980 distribution of the Draft EPA Recommended Practice for Determination of Tire Rolling Resistance Coefficients and the Draft EPA Recommended Practice for Grading and Labeling of Tires for Fuel Efficiency.
Environmental Protection AgencyStandards Development & Support Branch, 2565 Plymouth Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48105
- Thompson, G D
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamometers; Fuel consumption; Grading (Earthwork); Measurement; Performance tests; Rolling; Rolling friction; Standards; Test procedures; Tires; Tolerances (Engineering)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Grading
- Old TRIS Terms: Resistance; Tolerances mechanics
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00327101
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA-AA-SDSB-80-14 Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM