GASOHOL, TBA (TERTIARY BUTYL ALCOHOL), MTBE (METHYL TERTIARY BUTYL ETHER) EFFECTS ON LIGHT-DUTY EMISSIONS
This report describes the laboratory testing of unleaded gasoline and gasoline mixtures containing ethanol, tertiary butyl alcohol (TBA), and methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE). Four different vehicles were employed in this study. Analytical procedures for the measurement of TBA and ethanol in exhaust and evaporative emissions were developed. Regulated and several unregulated emission rates were determined during the entire Federal Test Procedures (FTP) for each vehicle using several gasolines. The exhaust emission rates of hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), oxides of nitrogen (NOx), individual hydrocarbons (IHC), and aldehydes are reported in grams per kilometer. Evaporative emissions for total hydrocarbons, TBA, and ethanol are reported in grams.
Southwest Research Institute6220 Culebra Road, P.O. Drawer 28510
San Antonio, TX United States 78228-0510
Environmental Protection AgencyEmission Control Technology Division, 2565 Plymounth Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48105
- Bykowski, B B
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: 148 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Alcohols; Aldehydes; Carbon monoxide; Ethanol; Exhaust gases; Fuel additives; Gasohol; Gasoline; Hydrocarbons; Methanol; Motor fuels; Motor vehicles; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00327076
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA-460/3-79-012 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-03-2377
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM