ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT OF DOE TRANSPORTATION PROGRAMS
At the first DOE Environmental Control Symposium the process of environmental planning, assessment, research and control for the projects of the DOE Assistant Secretary for Conservation and Solar's (ASCS) Office of Transportation Programs (OTP) was presented. In the months since that symposium the process has been in continual use with a large measure of success. To illustrate how well it has worked, the treatment of electric vehicle battery off-gassing is presented here. Further, since most of the environmental activity has been directed toward producing Environmental Assessments (EA), the results of these EAs are also presented. This presentation begins with a short status report. It then illustrates the process by following EV battery off-gassing from its identification as a concern in an early EDP to research centering upon its resolution. The last portion of the paper focuses on the findings of the current EAs.
- DOE Environmental Control Symposium, Reston, Va., March 17, 1980.
Argonne National Laboratory9700 South Cass Avenue
Argonne, IL United States 60439
Department of Energy1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20585
- Bernard III, M J
- Singh, M K
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric batteries; Electric vehicles; Environmental impacts; Hybrid automobiles; Hybrid vehicles; Impact studies; Lead acid batteries; Living things
- Uncontrolled Terms: Antimony
- Old TRIS Terms: Biological effects
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00326946
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Contract Numbers: W-31-109-ENG-38
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM