SUSPENSION AND REVOCATION EFFECTS ON THE DUI OFFENDER
Past studies have demonstrated that license suspension or revocation reduces subsequent DUI offenders to a greater degree than jail sentences and fines alone, or participation in an alternative alcohol abuse treatment program. While previous studies have shown that driving during the term of suspension or revocation is not an uncommon occurrence, the nature of the impact of licensing action upon the driver has not been documented to any great degree. The scope of the study reported includes three objectives: (1) to assess the ability of first, second, and third DUI offenders to avoid future DUI convictions or traffic accidents; (2) to survey drivers being reinstated following a DUI suspension or revocation in order to gather information concerning admission of driving during the action, transportation alternatives used while under the licensing action, and reactions of the driver to both the action and the changes in life style which resulted thereby; and (3) to assess the incidence of driving while under licensing action, as reported by drivers themselves, and by the presence of any driver record update. In addition to the results, major program recommendations concerning the first offender and the use of restricted licenses are outlined.
- Sponsored by Safety Center of California.
California Department of Motor VehiclesP.O. Box 11828, 2415 1st Avenue
Sacramento, CA United States 95813
- Hagen, R E
- McConnell, E J
- Williams, R L
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 62 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcoholism; Countermeasures; Driver licenses; Drivers; Drug abuse; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Licenses; Revocation; Surveys; Traffic conviction; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Convictions; Punishment
- Old TRIS Terms: Driver license revocation
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00326896
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CAL-DMV-RSS-80-75 Final Rpt., HS-031 148
- Files: HSL, TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 18 1983 12:00AM