NEW AND INNOVATIVE METHODS AND MATERIALS FOR PAVEMENT SKID RESISTANCE
The report describes an evaluation and classification of pavement surfaces with respect to skid resistance. The study was conducted by means of a questionnaire survey of agencies within and adjacent to California, and by testing and examination of 45 existing pavement surfaces. The test program included standard skid tests at two speeds and additional tests with a smooth tire at one speed. Surface textures were measured by stereophotographs to obtain a "texture profile". The approximate cost of the surface, the amount of traffic exposure, and vehicle accident data were included in the evaluation. The pavement surfaces were ranked on the basis of skid number, speed gradient, and texture. Systems which ranked well under heavy or medium traffic included open-graded asphalt concretes with and without epoxy modification, textured cement concretes, and epoxy chip seals. Conventional and rubberized chip seals were found suitable for medium or light traffic. Dense graded epoxy-asphalt concretes generally ranked about the same as the control section of asphalt concrete. The corrective surface treatments considered new and innovative were all quite expensive compared to conventional treatments. Wet pavement accidents data did not provide any criteria for establishing minimum levels of skid resistance.
5900 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA USA 95819
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Page, B G
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt concrete; Chippings; Crash rates; Epoxides; Evaluation; Flexible pavements; Maintenance; Measurement; Pavements; Profilometers; Questionnaires; Skid resistance; Skid resistance tests; Skidding; Stereoscopic cameras; Surface course (Pavements); Surface treating; Tests; Texture
- Uncontrolled Terms: Skid number
- Old TRIS Terms: Chips; Epoxy; Stereophotography; Stereoscopic photography
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces;
- Accession Number: 00326414
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-CA-TL-3143-76-5Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8480
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 19 1981 12:00AM