A STUDY OF CLEARANCE INTERVALS, FLASHING OPERATION, AND LEFT-TURN PHASING AT TRAFFIC SIGNALS. VOLUME 4. LEFT-TURN PHASING
This volume describes a study to develop recommendations concerning the utilization of the protected/permissive left turn phasing technique. The study procedures included a literature review, a review of state laws, questionnaires to public officials and to drivers, and field studies. The protected/permissive left turn phasing technique was found to improve traffic movement efficiency and operations where left turn phasing is not needed at all times during the day. It was also determined that an increased level of public understanding of the meaning of left turn signal indications, the arrow versus the green ball, is needed before general recommendation for usage can be justified. Precautions in the use of the technique are also included.
- See also Volume 3, PB81-105603. Prepared in cooperation with Mohle, Perry and Associates, Fullerton, CA. Also available in set of 4 reports PC E17, PB81-105579.
TJKM Transportation Consultants710 South Broadway Suite 302
Walnut Creek, CA United States 94596
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mohle, R H
- Rorabaugh, T K
- Publication Date: 1980-5
- Pagination: 99 p.
- TRT Terms: Clearance interval (Traffic signal cycle); Flashing traffic signals; Highway traffic control; Intersections; Laws; Left turns; Off peak periods; Questionnaires; Reviews; State government; Traffic; Traffic control; Traffic engineering; Traffic flow; Traffic safety; Traffic signal timing; Traffic signals; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Off-peak traffic
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00326366
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-78- 79 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8783
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 30 1981 12:00AM