SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR WHEELCHAIR LIFTS ON PUBLIC TRANSIT VEHICLES
The Safety Guidelines for Wheelchair Lifts on Public Transit Vehicles were developed through a grant from the Urban Mass Transportation Administration to the Division of Mass Transportation of the California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS). CALTRANS was supported in this research by a broadly based advisory panel of persons drawn from industries and other sectors engaged in activities pertinent to the public transport of the handicapped. In addition, CALTRANS asked bus and lift manufacturers and many transit operators to comment on draft Safety Guidelines. Advice was also sought from the staff of the Urban Mass Transportation Administration, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and the Transportation Systems Center. This report furnishes guidelines that can be used in addressing safety in the preparation of specifications for wheelchair lifts to be used on public transit buses and vans, and are written in performance specification language. They do not constitute adopted requirements or specifications, but rather, offer guidance that represents the latest research and thinking on the subject. Rationale discussions, which identify conditions and bases for specific recommended guidelines are also provided. The Guidelines contain sections that pertain to the lift transporting a person using a wheelchair and sections that pertain to the transport of persons standing.
California Department of Transportation1120 N Street
Sacramento, CA United States 95814
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- STEWART, C F
- Reinl, H G
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Design; Persons with disabilities; Safety; Specifications; Vehicle design; Wheelchair lifts
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus design
- Subject Areas: Design; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00326357
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CA-06-0098-80-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UMTA-CA-06-0098
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 31 1983 12:00AM