MEASUREMENT OF WHEEL/RAIL FORCES AT THE WASHINGTON METROPOLITAN AREA TRANSIT AUTHORITY. VOLUME II. TEST REPORT
Measurements of wheel/rail forces were made in August 1979 by the Transportation Systems Center (TSC) with the assistance of Battelle Columbus Laboratories to determine the causes of excessive wheel/rail wear experiences by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) Metrorail System during its first three years of operation. In addition to measuring the absolute magnitude of the wheel/rail forces, it was the intent to compare alternative methods for relieving wheel/rail wear at WMATA and other transit properties. Measurements of the wheel/rail forces were made at the Washington National Airport Test Site and the Brentwood Shop Test Site. This report describes the results of that effort. The study found that for tight gage, the average flange force between the leading outer wheel and the high rail of an 800-foot radius curve was 9400 pounds, unworn cylindrical profile; 6300 pounds, unworn tapered profile; and 7900 pounds, worn cylindrical profile. For widened gage, the average flange force was 6300 pounds, unworn cylindrical profile and 5500 pounds, unworn tapered profile. On the basis of these results, it was recommended that cylindrical wheels be replaced by tapered wheels and tight gage curves be widened to standard gage.
- Record URL:
- See also Volume 1, PB80-212772.
Battelle Columbus Laboratories505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43201
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Ahlbeck, D R
- Harrison, H D
- Tuten, J M
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 95 p.
- TRT Terms: Car wheels (Railroads); Durability; Durability tests; Flanges; Force; Gage (Rails); Loads; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Rolling friction; Wear; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Wheel profiles
- Old TRIS Terms: Laterial pressure; Rapid transit railways; Track gauge; Wheel flange forces
- Subject Areas: Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00326306
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-80-25IIIntrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1595
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 11 1981 12:00AM