AN EXAMINATION OF THE TRANSIT FUNDING PROCESS AT THE LOCAL LEVEL
The study examines the transit funding process at the local level during the period of public ownership. In particular, the study focuses on what the recent injection of public funds has bought and on those features of the local decision making process which have led to the particular uses chosen for the funds. The study is organized around five types of decisions which encompass the key choices made in most localities since the time of public takeover. These are: (1) the decision to assume public operation and subsidization of the transit system; (2) decisions about the uses of federal capital assistance grants; (3) decisions about the use of formula funds from higher levels of government for capital and operating assistance; (4) decisions about the appropriate response to growing demands for attention to the special transportation needs of the elderly and handicapped; and (5) decisions about the appropriate response to the growing fiscal austerity of the late 1970s. The study findings are based on case studies in nine metropolitan areas. The study cities were selected to include a wide range of sizes, population densities and growth rates, mode splits for the journey to work, durations of transit deficits, and local government expenditures per capita.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyCenter for Transportation Studies, Room 1121
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Womack, J P
- Altshuler, A A
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 70 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Decision making; Deficits; Economic policy; Federal assistance programs; Finance; Financing; Government funding; Level of service; Local government; Nationalization; Needs assessment; Operating costs; Ownership; Passenger transportation; Persons with disabilities; Population growth; Public transit; Rapid transit; Routes; Transportation; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Urban areas; Urban transportation; Work trips
- Uncontrolled Terms: Economic assistance; Services
- Old TRIS Terms: Fiscal policies; Populations growth; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General); I10: Economics and Administration; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00326271
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-11-0030-80-1Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 11 1981 12:00AM