FRAMEWORK FOR THE TRANSFERABILITY OF TRIP GENERATION PARAMETERS FOR SMALL URBAN AREAS IN INDIANA
Initiating a continuing, comprehensive and coordinated transportation planning process is a considerable task that faces small metropolitan areas as their population reaches 50,000. These areas usually lack the technical know-how as well as the financial capabilities needed to use the battery of computer-oriented planning models more commonly used in larger metropolitan areas. In most cases, such sophistication is not needed because the problems faced by smaller areas are different in nature and in complexity from those in larger areas. This study examined the small and medium sized urban areas (population range: 50,000 to 250,000) of Indiana where full scale transportation studies have already been conducted, in an effort to make more efficient use of the information made available by these studies. This study focused on trip generation (frequency) models and parameters and examined the stability and transferability of these parameters between small and medium sized urban areas at three levels of aggregation: areawide, zonal and household levels. A framework was thus provided for the transferability of trip frequency parameters. Special emphasis was placed on trip generation by category analysis. Synthetic trip generation procedures aimed at eliminating the need for costly home interview O-D surveys were recommended. A methodology based on Bayesian statistics was suggested for updating cross-classified household trip generation rates.
- See also PB80-217466 and PB80-217474. Sponsored in part by Indiana State Highway Commission, Indianapolis. Planning Study Title: Use of Synthetic Demand Modelling Techniques in Transportation Planning for Small Urban Areas in Indiana.
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN United States 47907-1284
Indiana State Highway CommissionIndianapolis, IN United States 46204
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mahmassani, H S
- Sinha, K C
- Publication Date: 1978-8-2
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 165 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Computer programs; Frequency (Electromagnetism); Mathematical models; Medium sized cities; Metropolitan areas; Origin and destination; Small cities; Statistical inference; Traffic engineering; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Travel patterns; Travel time; Trip generation; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: Indiana
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00326253
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: JHRP-78-13 Intrm Rpt., HS-030 110
- Contract Numbers: 1(16)-Pt-1
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 11 1983 12:00AM