NCSS (NATIONAL CRASH SEVERITY STUDY) STATISTICS: LIGHT TRUCKS AND VANS
This document has been prepared from a subset of the National Crash Severity Study data restricted to light trucks and vans involved in sampled accidents. The report is a supplement to the NCSS Statistics: Passenger Cars dated June 1980. The National Crash Severity Study (NCSS) is a major accident data collection program of the National Center for Statistics and Analysis (NCSA) of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Data collection began in January 1977 and terminated in March 1979. This report presents tabulations of the data for the last twelve months of the study, thus covering the period April 1, 1978 through March 31, 1979. Accidents were investigated in seven geographic areas within the continental United States selected so that the aggregate of the areas closely resembles the urbanization distribution of the entire country. Within each area a stratified sampling plan was used to gather detailed information on passenger cars, light trucks, and vans (and their occupants) in crashes which were severe enough to require that the vehicles be towed from the scene. The combined investigations presented here total 905 crashes, 951 towed light trucks and vans, 1,608 case vehicle occupants, and 104 fatalities. The tables in this report represent only a very broad treatment of the data.
- See also HS-805 531.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI USA 48109
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Ricci, L L
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 98 p.
- TRT Terms: Collisions; Crash investigation; Crash severity; Drivers; Fatalities; Injuries; Light trucks; Loss and damage; Statistics; Traffic crashes; Trucks; Vans
- Uncontrolled Terms: Damage assessment; Mortality; Motor vehicle accidents
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00326250
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-80-37, HS-805 530
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-8-01944
- Files: HSL, NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 11 1982 12:00AM