IMPROVED DESIGN OF TUNNEL SUPPORTS. VOLUME 4: TUNNELING PRACTICES IN AUSTRIA AND GERMANY
Volume 4 documents and evaluates extensive information gathered on tunnel construction practices in Austria and Germany, identifies differences compared to U.S. practices, and describes new developments. The objective was to assemble all available information about the economic, contractual, and technical aspects of tunneling in these countries. The cost information includes general cost data as well as specific costs for tunnels recently constructed, and discusses the reasons why tunneling there is often more economical and technically innovative than it is in the United States. The contractual information is based on a review of contractual standards and procedures in these countries and contractual arrangements for selected projects. The technical information includes general information on design philosophy and construction procedures, and detailed information on analytical and empirical methods and design aspects. A large number of transmountain tunnels in Austria and subway tunnel sections in Germany were visited, and many discussions were held with owner-authorities, design firms, and contractors.
- See also Volume 3, PB80-225170 and Volume 5, PB80-225196. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E99, PB80-225147.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- STEINER, W
- Einstein, H H
- Azzouz, A S
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 469 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Construction projects; Contracts; Costs; Design; Excavation and tunneling; Structural design; Subways; Technological forecasting; Technology; Tunnel lining; Tunnels; Underground structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs; Design criteria; Tunnel design
- Geographic Terms: Austria; Germany
- Old TRIS Terms: Subway construction; Underground supporting
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Finance; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00326065
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-80-27IVFinal Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1489
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 19 1981 12:00AM