IMPROVED DESIGN OF TUNNEL SUPPORTS. VOLUME 3: FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS OF THE PEACHTREE CENTER STATION IN ATLANTA
Volume 3 contains the application of the three-dimensional (3-D) finite element program, Automatic Dynamic Incremental Nonlinear Analysis (ADINA), which was designed to replace the traditional 2-D plane strain analysis, to a specific location. The location is the Peachtree Center Station in Atlanta, Georgia. The purpose of the study was to demonstrate the practical use of such a methodology. Predictions of ground movements and stresses caused by the enlargement of the pilot tunnel to form the test chamber, and by the excavation of the main station cavern are displayed. Plots of calculated stresses and deformation are shown in a form suitable for practical comparisons with instrument readings. This application of the three-dimensional finite element model is intended to illustrate some of the advantages and limitations of such methods when used for design or to compare predicted movements with measured movements. The effectiveness of the 3-D analysis for design is constrained but not excluded by the time and total cost requirements of the analysis. The potential design savings will probably outweigh the analysis costs in cases where complex ground-structure interaction cannot be realistically modeled by other methods.
- See also Volume 2, PB80-225162 and Volume 4, PB80-225188. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E99, PB80-225147.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Azzouz, A S
- Schwartz, C W
- Einstein, H H
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 111 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Construction; Excavation and tunneling; Finite element method; Plastic deformation; Rail transit stations; Soil mechanics; Structural design; Subways; Tunnel lining; Tunnels; Underground structures; Validation
- Identifier Terms: Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Tunnel design
- Geographic Terms: Georgia
- Old TRIS Terms: Subway construction; Underground supporting
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Geotechnology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00326064
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-8027IIIFinal Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1489
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 19 1981 12:00AM