IMPROVED DESIGN OF TUNNEL SUPPORTS. VOLUME 2: ASPECTS OF YIELDING IN GROUND-STRUCTURE INTERACTION
Volume 2 focuses on a particularly complex and often misunderstood aspect of ground-structure interaction, which is ground yielding and loosening, and reports new findings in this area. The findings are based on previous research, on the knowledge gained during the development of the simplified analysis and the application of the more sophisticated finite element techniques, and on specific studies of strain softening ground behavior. A conceptual review of ground yielding behavior, including outlines of appropriate analytical treatments, is addressed in the report and emphasis is placed on the problematic phenomenon of loosening. In addition to providing some basic concepts of ground yielding, the report also describes and compares analytical solutions for plastic ground behavior. Finally, an analytical tool for treating strain softening behavior is provided. The authors point out that it is hoped that ground-yielding, and consequently, ground-structure interaction, can be better understood and analytically treated, even if some aspects remain somewhat problematic.
- Record URL:
- See also Volume 1, PB80-225154 and Volume 3, PB80-225170. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E99, PB80-225147.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Schwartz, C W
- Azzouz, A S
- Einstein, H H
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Deformation curve; Excavation and tunneling; Finite element method; Plastic deformation; Soil mechanics; Structural design; Tunnel lining; Tunnels; Underground structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Tunnel design
- Old TRIS Terms: Underground supporting
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Geotechnology;
- Accession Number: 00326063
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-80-27IIFinal Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1489
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 19 1981 12:00AM