LABORATORY INVESTIGATION OF LATERAL TRACK SHIFT
This report describes test procedures and results of the AAR lateral track shift tests. The tests included static and dynamic lateral track loadings under various vertical loads, relative effects of single and double axle loading, panel shift tests and single tie tests. These tests, which were conducted at the AAR's Track Laboratory, were designed to quantify and determine the lateral strength of the track using various methods. The test results are limited to an unconsolidated track condition. The results indicate that a lateral stiffness of the track can be determined from each of the three methods used. These results, obtained from each of the methods tested, are compared in this report.
- Record URL:
Chicago, IL United States 60616
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Choros, J
- Zarembski, A M
- Gitlin, I
- Publication Date: 1980-8
- Pagination: 83 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Buckling; Continuous welded rail; Deflection; Dynamic loads; Laboratory tests; Loads; Mechanical properties; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Static loads; Stiffness tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral loads; Lateral pressure; Lateral stability; Track stiffness
- Old TRIS Terms: Ballast mechanics; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Materials; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00326057
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-80/27 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30038
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 19 1981 12:00AM