A VALIDATION AND ANALYSIS OF SELECTION PROCEDURES FOR MALE AND FEMALE BUS OPERATORS
Two related but separate investigations were undertaken in the course of the present project. The first was a selection test validation study for female bus operators that utilized and built on the research findings and results of the original study entitled a "National Validation of a Selection Test Battery for Male Transit Operators." The second was a reanalysis of the results of this original study in order to investigate three specific procedures for the purpose of determining whether modifications could be made in the male operator test battery which would increase its validity or utility. A performance-criterion, concurrent validation study was implemented for female bus operators in accordance with the Uniform Guidelines with a validity coefficient obtained from an equation fitted to the total sample of white, black, and Hispanic operators. Two of the three tests used in this equation are identical to those used in the male battery and the third is merely adapted for use with female applicants. The reanalysis of the results of the male bus operator battery validation addressed three specific issues, two of which had surfaced in the course of the implementation of the battery. They concern, respectively, the effect on training school performance of not including a cognitive test in the battery, and the effects of age on the applicants' test battery score. The third issue is a technical test construction one and concerns the possibility of increasing battery validity through use of a more vigorous response technique for one of the three instruments.
- Sponsored in part by Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, Boston. See also report dated Jun 76, PB-283 709.
University of ChicagoHuman Rescources Center, 1225 East 60th Street
Chicago, IL USA 60637
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority50 High Street
Boston, MA USA 02110
- Baehr, M E
- Penny III, R E
- Froemel, E C
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Pagination: 139 p.
- TRT Terms: Aptitude tests; Bus drivers; Buses; Drivers; Employment; Females; Job analysis; Males; Minorities; Personnel; Qualifications; Selection and appointment; Testing; Training; Urban areas; Validity
- Old TRIS Terms: Male drivers
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Education and Training; Public Transportation; Research; Society;
- Accession Number: 00326054
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0011-80-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-289
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 19 1983 12:00AM