RAIL SYSTEM INVESTMENT ANALYSIS: ANALYSIS OF INVESTMENT PROJECTS FROM THE NATIONAL ECONOMIC PERSPECTIVE
The study examines the impact of railroad investment projects from the national economic perspective. Evaluation results are presented for 27 sample projects which were taken from nine applications for Title V assistance submitted by railroads to the Federal Railroad Administration. Among the issues addressed by this report are; project evaluation techniques (particularly the internal rate of return); the national economic impacts characteristic of railroad investments; the relationship between rate of return and other project attributes; and the effect of institutional factors on railroad investment decisions.
- Prepared in cooperation with R. L. Banks and Associates, Inc., Washington, DC.
Ernst and Ernst1225 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Asst Secretary for Policy & International Affairs400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1980-1
- Pagination: 137 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Benefit cost analysis; Cash flow; Deficits; Discount; Economic analysis; Economic impacts; Government funding; Investments; Losses; Maintenance; Maintenance of way; Operating costs; Present value; Profits; Railroad tracks; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Return on investment; Taxes
- Identifier Terms: Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976
- Uncontrolled Terms: Discounted cash flow
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical techniques; Fixed investment
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00326050
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-PC-10-80-02 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OST-60-097
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 19 1981 12:00AM