MLS MULTIPATH STUDIES. PHASE 3. VOLUME I. OVERVIEW AND PROPAGATION MODEL VALIDATION/REFINEMENT STUDIES
This phase of the US national Microwave Landing System (MLS) program worked toward developing a computer simulation model of MLS multipath effects, the experimental validation of the model, and application of the model to investigate multipath performance of ICAO proposals for the new approach and landing guidance system. This first volume presents an overview of the overall simulation results as well as a description of the refined mathematical models and validation of the propagation portion of the simulation. Specific propagation topics include: (1) preliminary results for validation of models for reflections from rough and/or rising terrain based on L-band field data; (2) validation of the models for building reflections based on field measurements at a number of operational airports; and (3) validation and refinement of the models for angle guidance system shadowing by obstacles such as buildings and other objects.
- See also Volume 2, AD-A088 001.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyLinclon Laboratory, 244 Wood Street
Lexington, MA USA 02420-9180
Federal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC USA 20591
- Evans, J E
- Dolinar, S J
- Sun, D F
- Shnidman, D A
- Publication Date: 1979-4-25
- Pagination: 383 p.
- TRT Terms: Diffraction; L band; Landing; Landing fields; Measurement; Microwave landing systems; Multipath transmission; Simulation; Validation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental data; Guidance
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft landings; Obscuration
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00326006
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ATC-88-VOL-1, FAA-RD-79-21-VOL-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA74WAI-461
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 19 2002 12:00AM