SURFACE EFFECT SHIP STRUCTURAL PRODUCIBILITY. PART 1
For the purpose of this report the term "structural producibility" is the effect of the manufacturing process on the design (i.e., a producible design is one that is within the ability of the manufacturing function to fabricate at a specified quality and cost level). The producibility effort was carried out through an extensive aluminum welding, fabrication and repair technique development program; the fabrication and evaluation of the SES-100A1 bow modification and the construction and assembly of the mini-modules representing two small segments of the 3KSES hull. The SES-100A1 modification provided valuable exposure to actual production problems, including dimensional variance due to previously locked-in stresses as well as tolerance build-up and additional induced warpage from weld shrinkage. The mini-module being a representative of actual 3KSES structural elements with truss joints and typical member splices exposed various assembly and weld joint crack problems which required both design and manufacturing development to resolve. In order to develop an overall optimum structural design for the 3KSES, various assembly sequences, welding techniques and joint types were investigated for accessibility, effectiveness of weld preparation and manufacturing techniques and strengths of the joints produced. The accuracy of alignment and fit-up of the various elements, having a direct effect on final assembly strength, was also evaluated to establish overall fabrication requirements.
- See also part 2, AD-A087 437.
Rohr Marine, IncorporatedNational City, CA United States
- Publication Date: 1980-5-14
- Pagination: 368 p.
- TRT Terms: Hulls; Joints (Engineering); Manufactures; Manufacturing; Shipbuilding; Structural design; Surface effect ships; Vehicle design; Welding; Welds
- Uncontrolled Terms: Welded joints
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull assembly; Hull fit up; Welding techniques
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00325857
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: N00024-77-C-2032
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 12 1981 12:00AM