STRESSES IN RAILROAD TRACK--THE TALBOT REPORTS
The reports of the AREA-ASCE Special Committee on Stresses in Railroad Track, under the chairmanship of Professor A. N. Talbot, represent one of the most comprehensive series of investigations into the behavior of railroad track structures ever undertaken. This effort, encompassing an examination of fundamental principles, comprehensive laboratory testing and extensive field testing, was covered in a series of seven progress reports issued between 1918 and 1940. The 25-year effort sought to characterize the response of track to vehicle loadings, aiming to verify theoretical analyses previously made. Laboratory and field testing involved development of new instrumentation and repeated conduct of characterization tests under differing conditions. The result was formulation of principles of track behavior that are still in use today. Among the many topics addressed were: elastic behavior of the track structure and formulation of representative track modulus values for American track; investigation of transmission of load from rails through ties and ballast to subgrade; dynamic vertical and lateral loading of track; effects of flat wheels and low joints; and benefits of canted tie plates. The fundamental concepts of track deformation and load transmission are still in use. No other series of investigations has had such an impact on American railway engineering.
American Railway Engineering Association2000 L Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 1304 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle load force; Ballast (Railroads); Development; Dynamics; Elasticity (Mechanics); Instrumentation; Mechanical properties; Rail (Railroads); Rail joints; Railroad tracks; Research; Stresses; Subgrade (Pavements); Tests; Train track dynamics; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics; Research and development; Track stiffness; Vertical dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Ballast mechanics; Flat wheels; Rail stress; Track stress; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00325426
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM