IMPROVEMENT OF CONTROL BY SPECIAL DEVICES
The paper discusses hydrodynamic devices for improving manoeuvring and control. Two hydrodynamic concepts are shown to be of practical significance for large craft: control of hydrofoil lift independent of incidence, and deflection of the propulsion jet through a large angle by means of a simple hydrofoil. Lift control independent of incidence is illustrated by the jet flap and the trailing edge rotating cylinder. Improved deflection of the propeller slipstream involves extending the rudder stall angle, and it is shown how this may be achieved by fitting the rudder with a leading edge rotating cylinder.
- Proceedings of an International Symposium on Direction Stability and Control of Bodies Moving in Water, London, 1972.
Institution of Mechanical Engineers1 Birdcage Walk
London SW1H 9JJ, England
- Ritter, H
- Publication Date: 1972
- Pagination: n.p.
- Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science
- Volume: 14
- Issue Number: 7
- Publisher: Mechanical Engineering Publications Limited
- TRT Terms: Hydrofoil boats; Maneuvering; Rudders; Ship pilotage
- Old TRIS Terms: Hydrofoil control; Rotating cylinder rudders
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00323691
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Stevens Institute of Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM