ESTIMATION OF THE EFFECTIVENESS OF LATERAL THRUST UNITS
This paper suggests standard manoeuvres which can serve as the basis for evaluating ship controllability, in cases when no particular specification has been drawn up concerning the control of a ship equipped with a lateral thrust unit (LTU). Calculation procedures are given for prediction of LTU thrust necessary for a ship to perform the suggested manoeuvres while under the action of external forces due to wind of a given intensity. The paper also supplies data concerning ship speed influence on LTU thrust and moment, which may be used for calculation of the manoeuvring behaviour of a ship moving ahead or astern.
- Proceedings of an International Symposium on Direction Stability and Control of Bodies Moving in Water, London, 1972.
Institution of Mechanical Engineers1 Birdcage Walk
London SW1H 9JJ, England
- Nikolaev, E P
- Pershits, R Y
- Russetzky, A A
- Publication Date: 1972
- Pagination: n.p.
- Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science
- Volume: 14
- Issue Number: 7
- Publisher: Mechanical Engineering Publications Limited
- TRT Terms: Ship pilotage; Thrusters
- Old TRIS Terms: Thruster performance
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00323666
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Stevens Institute of Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM