POSTTREATMENT OF P/M PARTS
As P/M parts become more complex and mechanical requirements more critical, the need for post-forming treatments becomes of greater concern to the manufacturer. This paper presents an insight to simple parameters of various types of heat treatments and machining techniques for use on P/M parts. Various types of heat treatments and their effects upon parts, where different from wrought materials, are discussed. Methods of hardness testing and interpretation of results are explained, as are the needs for good specifications. Suggestions for techniques that have worked in providing good production results in the various types of machining that are normally required to complete the piece are also given.
- Prepared for SAE Meeting 25-29 February 1980.
Warrendale, PA USA 15096
- Feir, M
- Publication Date: 1980-2
- Pagination: 6 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers
- TRT Terms: Automobile industry; Hardness; Metal heating; Metals; Performance based specifications; Performance tests; Powder metallurgy; Powders; Specifications; Vehicular materials
- Uncontrolled Terms: Heat treatment
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile materials; Powder metal products; Powder metals
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment; I34: Steels and Metals; I96: Vehicle Operating Costs;
- Accession Number: 00325248
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800308
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM