STUDY ON THE SELECTION OF HIGH STRENGTH STEEL SHEETS FOR AUTO-BODY PANELS
In search for thinner auto-body panels, investigation has been made on the level of yield strength of high strength steel sheets in view of the fact that the dent resistance must be at least equal to that of today's mild steel panels. Dent resistance should be evaluated for slight dent, and loss of the dent resistance caused by thinning is most remarkably seen in this case. Rephosphorized aluminum killed steel with bake-hardenability is most favorable, taking the necessary resistance to slight dent and the formability into consideration.
- Prepared for SAE Meeting 25-29 February 1980.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Kojima, M
- Haxashi, Y
- Publication Date: 1980-2
- Pagination: 8 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Atterberg limits; Motor vehicle bodies; Panels; Performance tests; Sheet metal; Steel; Steel sheets; Strength of materials; Testing; Vehicle body components; Vehicle body parts; Vehicular materials
- Old TRIS Terms: Auto body panels; Automobile bodies; Automobile materials
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment; I34: Steels and Metals; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00325095
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800369
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM