PERFORMANCE OF TRAFFIC SIGNAL BULBS ON IMPACT
The paper reports on a study to determine the abnormalities that can occur to traffic signal lamp filaments when subjected to impact shocks under lighted and unlighted conditions, thereby providing a means for ascertaining which driver had the green signal indication in such accidents. A series of special impact tests was undertaken to study the effects of impact shock on traffic signal lamp filaments. This was followed by an evaluation of the traffic signal lamp filaments involved in about three dozen real-world traffic signal knock-down accidents. Results indicate that the traffic signal indication status on impact can accurately be ascertained through a careful examination of the traffic signal lamp filaments involved.
- Proceedings of the 17th Paving Conference, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 1980.
University of New Mexico, AlbuquerqueDepartment of Civil Engineering
Albuquerque, NM United States 87131-0001
- Bleyl, R L
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: p. 41-47
- TRT Terms: Crash causes; Crash investigation; Electric lamps; Filaments; Green interval (Traffic signal cycle); Impact tests; Testing; Traffic control devices; Traffic crashes; Traffic signals
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00325006
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM