DEVELOPMENT OF HEAVY RAIL-PROFILES. STUDY OF A NEW 60 KG/M RAIL
The principles for the study of heavy rail-sections were defined in an earlier report (Report No. 1); tests were carried out on ten rail-sections weighing in the region of 60 kg, with a view to selecting the best one. Stresses under load were calculated by extensometric and photoelastic tests and then analysed using the finite element method. This method was proved to be completely valid by trial measurements. No new rail was recommended following the examination of the results; the advantages of the best designs were considered unsatisfactory in comparison with the standard UIC 60 rail.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- Accession Number: 00054346
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D120/RP 2/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 10 1976 12:00AM