DIRECTION FINDING FROM ARTERIALS TO DESTINATIONS
Highway agencies have developed various procedures to assist motorists in finding the way from arterial highways to destinations in unfamiliar areas. This report of the Transportation Research Board documents the range of technical, legal, political, social, and environmental factors affecting the development of information systems designed to meet drivers' direction-finding information needs. To develop this synthesis in a comprehensive manner and to ensure inclusion of significant knowledge, the Board analyzed available information assembled from numerous sources, including a large number of state highway and transportation departments. A topic panel of experts in the subject area was established to guide the researchers in organizing and evaluating the collected data, and to review the final synthesis report.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/05475570
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1980-9
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 50 p.
- NCHRP Synthesis of Highway Practice
- Issue Number: 71
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0547-5570
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Citizen band radio; Direction signs; Driver information systems; Human factors; Laws; Maps; Policy; Radio direction finders; Referencing; Route guidance; Traffic signs; Variable message signs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Direction finding
- Old TRIS Terms: Directional sign
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Policy; Safety and Human Factors; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00324455
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-031 091
- Files: HSL, TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Apr 15 1982 12:00AM