Optimisation and validation of full and half foam filled double circular tube under multiple load cases
In this study, numerical results are conducted to determine the deformation mode of foam filled double circular tubes, namely; half foam filled double circular tube (FD), and full foam filled double circular tube (DD) under oblique loading. To validate the simulation and experimental results, two-parameter Weibull probability distribution was used. The proposed function of the multi-objective optimisation design (MOD) process was based on the Finite Element Analysis results. The metamodels in were constructed to predict the crashworthiness criteria of specific energy absorption and peak crushing force under oblique impact loading. Also examined in the study were the MOD problems of the two structure types under multiple impact angles using the NSGA II algorithm. The findings from the study determined that the optimal full foam filled double circular tube had better crashworthiness under pure axial loading. While the optimal half foam filled, double circular tube had more space to enhance the crashworthiness under an oblique impact.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/13588265
- © 2019 Informa UK Limited, trading as Taylor & Francis Group. Abstract republished with permission of Taylor & Francis.
- Djamaluddin, Fauzan
- Abdullah, Shahrum
- Ariffin, Ahmad Kamal
- Nopiah, Zulkifli Mohd.
- Publication Date: 2019-7
- Media Type: Web
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: pp 389-398
- TRT Terms: Crashworthiness; Crushing; Deformation; Energy absorption; Finite element method; Foams; Impact loads; Optimization; Tubing; Validation
- Subject Areas: Design; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 01706995
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 2019 3:01PM