COMPUTERIZED BEARING SYSTEM ANALYSIS TUNED FOR FRONT WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES
In a front wheel drive vehicle, the space available for driveline and suspension components has placed unique demands on the wheel bearing design. To assist with the selection of an optimum bearing package, a computer program has been developed based on a total bearing systems analysis. For the calculation of the bearing system fatigue life, the program considers duty cycle, vehicle load and speed, bearing setting, lubrication, and the misalignment caused by the imposed loads. A theoretical bearing package evaluation made early in the wheel design will assure satisfactory performance under actual service conditions.
- From the SAE Meeting held February 25-29, 1980.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Gilbert, G G
- Hoeprich, M R
- Wasik, H J
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Bearings; Computer programs; Evaluation; Front wheel drive; Lubrication; Vehicle design; Wheel loads; Wheels
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00322885
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800006
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 6 1981 12:00AM