NOISE AND PERFORMANCE OF AUTOMOTIVE COOLING FANS
GM Research studies show that the peak efficiency and minimum noise operating points of a fan do not necessarily coincide. Therefore, the judicious use of both noise and performance characteristics is important in selecting the best fan design for a given application. These studies also show that decreasing tip clearance, decreasing pitch angle, and increasing chord at a given solidity will increase fan efficiency, while decreasing tip clearance, optimizing pitch angle, optimizing camber, and optimizing solidity will reduce fan noise.
- From the SAE Meeting held February 25-29, 1980.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Mellin, R C
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Design; Fans; Noise; Noise control; Performance
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00322850
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800031
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 19 1981 12:00AM