NI-RESIST TYPE D5S -- AN IMPROVED MATERIAL FOR TURBOCHARGER HOUSINGS
Automotive turbocharger housings are complex castings of predominantly thin section requiring a demanding combination of properties. Ni-resist Type D5S, a highly castable austenitic ductile iron provides the required combination of properties and is finding increased application in turbocharger housing. A series of investigations has been conducted into the influence of melting/casting and compositional variables on microstructure, mechanical and physical properties, and machinability of this iron. A preferred melting/casting practice is recommended, and the effects of various addition elements are defined.
- From the SAE Meeting held February 25-29, 1980.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Fontaine, P I
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Applications; Building materials; Cast iron; Nickel alloys; Physical properties; Superchargers; Turbochargers; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Nodular; Supercharging; Turbocharging
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00322849
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800016
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 19 1981 12:00AM