LARGE AREA LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY FOR AUTOMOBILE
An instrument panel of a large area liquid crystal display (LCD), including a 50 segment bargraph speedometer, a six digit odo/trip/tacho meter, two gages and several warning indicators, has been developed. The LCD cell evaluated for this instrument panel is operated in a reflective twisted nematic mode and dimensions of the cell are 260 X 110 X 3 mm. The liquid crystal material is capable of operating over a wider temperature range from -30 deg C to 80 deg C and the response time is less than 1 second at -20 deg C without heaters. The LCD instrument panel can display in multicolor by using high performance dichroic polarizers. Finally feasibility of the large area LCD instrument panel is investigated.
- Also published in HS-028 950 (SAE-SP-457), "Automotive Electronic Instrumentation; Displays and Sensors," Warrendale, Pennsylvania, 1980 p 1-7. Presented at SAE Congress and Exposition, Detroit, 25-29 February 1980.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Horikiri, K
- Ando, T
- Yamane, H
- Arai, H
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Preprint
- Publisher: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Information display systems; Instrument panels; Liquid crystal displays
- Old TRIS Terms: Display devices; Displays
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00322846
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 800235, HS-028 951
- Files: HSL, TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 19 1985 12:00AM