AN ALGORITHM FOR WASHED SURFACES COMPUTATION IN TANKERS (CRUDE OIL WASHING)
UN ALGORITMO PER IL CALCOLO DELLE SUPERFICI LAVATE DELLE NAVI PETROLIERE (COW)
Item 4.2.8 of IMCO Resolution A.446 (XI), which contains the revised text of Annex to Resolution 15 of Attachment 3 of the Final Act of the International Conference on Tanker Safety and Pollution Prevention 1978 reads as follows: 4.2.8-The number and location of the machines in each cargo tank shall be such that all horizontal and vertical areas are washed by direct impingement or effectively by deflection or splashing of the impinging jet. In assessing an acceptable degree of jet deflection in splashing, particular attention shall be paid to the washing of upward facing horizontal areas and specified parameters shall be used. IMCO item 4.2.9 also further complicates the calculations. The disadvantages of both approaches are that they require arduous and huge amounts of work by specialized staff, with consequent high costs. Two of the Authors, in the ambit of the graduation thesis for the degree in Mathematics, with the cooperation of the Research and Data Processing Department of the R.I.NA., have dealt with the problem of reducing calculus times and costs. As a result, a program has been formulated, written in FORTRAN language, that carries out the calculation of the areas washed by the jet, by means of a merely geometric algorithm. This work aims to explain such program synthetically, pointing out its economic characteristics and its extreme flexibility in respect to possible changes of the present regulations.
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: 20 p.
- Registro Italiano Navale
- Issue Number: 70
- TRT Terms: Cleaning; Petroleum refining; Pollution; Pollution control; Regulation; Regulations; Storage tanks; Tankers
- Identifier Terms: International Maritime Consultative organization
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer programs (Tank cleaning); Crude washing; Imco pollution regulations; Tank cleaning; Tanker pollution regulation
- Subject Areas: Environment; Law; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00322604
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 29 1980 12:00AM