STANDARDS FOR CARGO SECURITY
Congressional hearings have established that merchandise passing through our Nation's ports of entry is the object of widespread theft and pilferage. Surveys conducted by the Customs Service indicate that security of international cargo must be improved if we are to stem this drain on our commerce. These Standards for Cargo Security were drafted as guidance for Customs officers and terminal operations in achieving this goal. This booklet is divided into two broad sections as follows (1) Physical Security Standards covering buildings, fencing, gates, parking, lighting, lock, key control and high-risk cargo, and (2) Procedural security Standards covering personnel screening, security personnel, communications, identification system, independent contractors, cargo quantity control, delivery procedures, container shipments, seals and security education.
United States Customs ServiceDepartment of the Treasury
Washington, DC USA 20229
- Publication Date: 1973
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo handling; Delivery service; Freight security; Security; Terminal operations; Theft
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo delivery
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Security and Emergencies; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00054185
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Customs Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1974 12:00AM