ROLE OF PRIVATE ENTERPRISE IN TSM: CAN INTEREST BE GENERATED AND MAINTAINED?
It is in the inteest of the public sector to encourage private enterprise to participate in the planning, programming, and implementation of TSM strategies, as well as in the processes by which these functions are managed. As result of his experiences in working with a variety of employers and other groups in Middlesex County, New Jersey, the author lists what he considers necessary for the making of a TSM constituency: a locally based TSM coordinating group consisting of representatives from business, industry, various level of government, transit operators, and citizens; establishing an agenda of items to reinforce a public-private partnership in implementing a TSM strategy (e.g. have the private sector provide incentives to encourage participation); a central coordination staff, targeting improvements (i.e. implementing several mutually reinforcing projects in a given area); and insuring rapid implementation.
- Digital Copy:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/0360859X
- This paper appeared in Transportation Research Board Special Report No. 190: Transportation System Management in 1980.
Transportation Research Board (TRB)Washington, DC
- Volk, Herman
- Workshop on Transportation System Management
- Location: Arlington Texas, United States
- Date: 1979-11-26 to 1979-11-29
- Publication Date: 1980
- Media Type: Print
- Pagination: pp 28-30
- Monograph Title: Transportation system management in 1980: state of the art and future directions
- Transportation Research Board Special Report
- Issue Number: 190
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0360-859X
- TRT Terms: Conferences; Cooperation; Implementation; Incentives; Private enterprise; Public participation; Transportation planning; Transportation system management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Society; I10: Economics and Administration; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00319369
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Dec 30 1980 12:00AM