COMPARISON OF MULTIPLE BEAM COVERAGE TO EARTH COVERAGE FOR A MARITIME SATELLITE SYSTEM
Preliminary tradeoff comparisons were analyzed for a possible baseline L-band maritime communications satellite system. Primary emphasis was given to major shipping routes with secondary coverage elsewhere. A low cost satellite configuration was postulated based on a Thor-Delta class satellite. Computer analyses were conducted to assess tradeoffs between satellite antenna complexity, in terms of multiple beam vs. earth coverage, and user access delay time and shipboard antenna complexity in terms of gain.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Murphy, C J
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Antennas; Communications satellites; Microwave communication systems; Position fixing
- Old TRIS Terms: Antenna systems; Microwave communication; Position finding
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00054112
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-OST-73-25 Intrm Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1974 12:00AM