CELLULAR AND LO-LO SHIPS DOMINATE WORLD FIXED FLEET
The basis for the analysis presented in this article is Containerisation International's 1980 Yearbook, just published, which features an extensive register of container carrying ships. The author comments on the trend towards increased ro-ro/container carrying slots which reached a record of 43,000 TEU in 1979 and has now shifted decidedly back in favour of lo-lo with renewed popularity of pure cellular and converted vessels. The accompanying figures show 1) an analysis of world fleet of container carrying ships by type, in service and on order, and 2) theoretical versus weighted fleet by types. Table 1 is an analysis of world fleet container carrying ships over 250 TEU by type, in service and on order, and table 2 is an analysis of container carrying vessels by type and year of entry into service. In table 3 is shown TEU capacity added each year since 1958 to the world container carrying ship fleet by type of vessel. The growth of world fleet of container carrying ships by type since 1967 is depicted in figure 3. Table 4 shows cumulative growth of world fleet of container carrying ships since 1967, with annual rate of increase in TEU capacity. Tables 5, 6 and 7 give respectively analyses of container carrying ships by year of entry into service and TEU capacity; by type and TEU capacity and by service speed and type. Finally tables 8 and 9 provide analyses of container carrying ships by service speed and TEU size range and by service speed and year of entry into service.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/3601838
National Magazine Company Limited72 Broadwick Street
London W1V 2BP, England
- Gibney, R F
- Publication Date: 1980-3
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Combination carriers; Containerships; Fleet management; Merchant vessels; Roll on roll off ships; Shipping; Statistics
- Old TRIS Terms: Competitive merchant ships; Fleet statistics; Lo/lo ships; Shipping trends
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00319011
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Cargo Handling Coordination Assn
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM