ON THE HOOK. PARTS 1, 2 AND 3
The first of a series of articles on mobile cranes Part 1 entitled "Defining basic wheeled cranes" is designed to help the operator decide whether a crane can be the solution to particular handling problems, and to define and describe the various types available. Specifications of truck mounted and mobile cranes are compared and the development of rough terrain cranes over the last twelve years is described. The second article, entitled "Assessing your lifting needs" explains how to compare one crane with another, by discussing the terminology used in manufacturers brochures, which can be somewhat complex. There are two broad methods of comparing one crane with another -- what they will lift and how high they will lift. To do that one needs to understand a few basic facts and how to extract them from the literature. Having established the approximate category a crane will fit into, one can then go on to study the more detailed specifications. British Standards and safety factors are also covered. The third article, entitled "Assessing manufacturers' literature" provides intending users of cranes with a guide on what to look for in a supplier's brochure, and how to relate each specification to the individual need. The author describes some of the discrepancies he found in comparing the brochures of ten manufacturers and presents an analysis in tabular form of information contained in the crane brochures supplied. He considers that a well presented brochure reflects quite a lot of the marketing attitude of the company concerned, and many potential purchasers are favourably impressed by what looks like a serious attempt to win their order.
- Copies of the original material available to members at a cost of 0.15 pounds per page, and to non-members at 0.30 pounds per page to include postage. There will be a minimum charge of 3.00 pounds to members and 6.00 pounds to non-members for this service.
IPC Industrial Press LimitedDorset House, Stamford Street
London SE1 9LU, England
- Boynton, P
- Publication Date: 1980-1
- Pagination: 9 p.
- Materials Handling News
- Publisher: IPC Industrial Press Limited
- TRT Terms: Cargo handling equipment; Container handling; Containers; Cranes; Lifting equipment; Mobile cranes
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00319003
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Cargo Handling Coordination Assn
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM