A REPORT ON LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT: SURFACE OPERATIONS
This report recognizes the fact that the high costs of segregated fixed-guideway transit have dampened LRT's popularity. As a result, the Transportation Research Board (TRB) and UMTA decided to conduct an examination of the obstacles to lower-cost surface configurations. Toward this end, a by-invitation-only seminar was convened in Washington, DC, on December 5-6, 1978. Its objective was to trace specific problems and to propose where effort toward their solution should be most effectively directed. These problems were expressed as a set of issues that served to focus thought and guide proceedings. This report contains three background papers as well as the summary of discussions on the impact of alignment options, traffic-engineering requirements, safety requirements, safety requirements for installation and operation requirements for passenger stop locations, intermodal interface, fare-collection options for surface operation, and future actions.
- Digital Copy:
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 26 p.
- Transportation Research Board Unpublished Report
- Issue Number: 18
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- TRT Terms: Alignment; Analysis; Costs; Fare collection; Intermodal terminals; Light rail transit; Lines of track; Location; Meetings; Passenger terminals; Public transit; Rail transit; Railroad stations; Safety; Safety engineering; Street railroads; Technology assessment; Traffic control; Traffic engineering; Traffic forecasting; Transit vehicle operations; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Line location; Passenger stations; Surface rail transit
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00318430
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-DC-06-0316-80-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-80040
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Oct 8 1982 12:00AM