LARGE BULK CARRIER PORTS AND TERMINALS (35,000 DWT +)
The rapid development of international seaborne trade in major and minor bulk commodities together with progressive growth in the number and size of bulk vessels engaging in the various trades in the period since the mid 1960's has been accompanied by a steady increase in both the number and capacity of ports and terminals accessible to large bulk carriers. As might be expected the pace of such development has been by no means uniform, terminal expansion/improvement being extremely rapid in the large volume, long-haul iron ore trade, for example, and markedly slower in the shorter-haul, smaller volume trade in phosphate rock. The survey systematically examines and analyses the various inter-relating factors-- trade volumes average shipping distances, shipload requirements, vessel size and type preferences--underlying the pace and scale of past bulk port/terminal development, commodity-by-commodity. The availability, capacity and characteristics of bulk terminal facilities existing, building and planned discussed in the context of past and potential future bulk trade growth, comprehensive appendices listing existing facilities together with known projects being detailed in each commodity section. As well as serving as a reference document, conclusions are reached as to future bulk vessel size and type requirements in light of current and projected port/terminal development plans.
- From Bulk Trade, Transportation and Handling Surveys 1980/81.
Cargo Systems Publications LimitedMcMillan House, 54 Cheam Common Road
Worchester Park, Surrey KT4 8RJ, England
- Publication Date: 1981
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Bulk cargo terminals; Bulk carriers; Development; Freight traffic; Improvements; Intermodal terminals; Port capacity; Port operations; Ports; Surveys; Trade
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk trade flows; Survey reports; Terminal development; Terminal facilities
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00324726
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 18 1981 12:00AM