REPORT OF THE MANEUVERABILITY COMMITTEE, 12TH ITTC. APPENDIX 4
The 10th ITTC included the scale effect problem among the tasks of the Manoeuvrability Committee. The first survey was given to the 11th ITTC in 1966. Since then there have become available an increased number of reports on ship-model correlation in manoeuvrability, e.g. the MARINER comparison test programme. These provide additional evidence of the actual effect of the ship-model scale. But it may be said straightaway that the progress in theoretical and experimental fundamentals for analysing scale effect is not very good. The state-of-art review at this time shows only a better qualified understanding of the hydrodynamics of the problem. The quantitative results are nevertheless too poor to permit final recommendations to be made. The progress in this task is confined essentially to the more detailed proposals for further systematic work and especially for closed comparative conditions.
- Presented at the 12th International Towing Tank Conference, 1969.
Rome Towing TankRome, Italy
- Thieme, H
- Publication Date: 1969
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Ships; Structural models
- Uncontrolled Terms: Scale effect; Ship models
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00323721
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Stevens Institute of Technology
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 12 1981 12:00AM